Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Saturday Project

One of today's projects on my to do list was making some embroidery hoops and swatches of fabric into art for my bathroom. You may have seen the project tutorial over on Purl Bee that they made with lovely Liberty fabric, so I thought I might try some of my favorite fabrics from my collection. I have to say, I do have a sizable collection of new and vintage fabrics, but some are just too precious to cut. I finally gained the courage to do just that with this project. I have to say, I think they look very nice hanging up in my bathroom!

Embroidery Hoop Fabric Art 2
This is another view of my hoops in the bathroom. I chose to make an asymmetrical layout with the hoops, opting for an odd number at the moment. I can always add more if the mood strikes...

Embroidery Hoop Fabric Art 7
For my fabrics I used a sea scene of some Heather Ross fabric I ordered a very long while ago. This was one of those ones I have lots of yardage (still) and could not bear to cut it until today! Hooray for my small victory!

Embroidery Hoop Fabric Art 8
This is a Shinzi Katoh print that I think is totally adorable. I believe it is from Kitty-Craft. I love it so much cos the little animal characters look like something I might draw - and oh, that little bun has the sweetest look!

Embroidery Hoop Fabric Art 6
Here is one of my Spoonflower samples! It is made from the cotton lawn fabric and is a little on the thin side, but it works quite well for this project. I love the color theme of all of my hoop frames I have going.

Embroidery Hoop Fabric Art 5
I hot glued the inside hoop and pulled the fabric as tight as I could (so the hoop would sit flat against the wall as much as possible). Then I trimmed the excess fabric.

Embroidery Hoop Fabric Art 4
Here is my assortment of hoop frames. Like I said before, I love the color schemes in all of them and think they look very pretty all together as a whole. This is a really simple and inexpensive project to do, plus it is great for using small bits of fabric as well as ones that you have been holding on for that "special something" to make!

5 comments:

EMJT said...

Love this look!! So cute

EMJT said...

Love this project, so cute!!

Allana said...

What a simple and effective project - they look fantastic! I love your little bathroom collections too :)

Ernessa T. Carter said...

What an AWESOME concept. I also love the dolls! Bute sadly I can already see the getting knocked over on a daily basis by Betty....

Church of Craft Athens said...

Thanks everyone! This is a fun project and I can see myself going overboard and adding tons of hoops to my tiny bathroom walls!

Surprisingly, Nilla has never tried to climb the ledge that the collections sit on in my bath! She does hop on the sink for a drink, then lookout to my jewelry that is on the sink!

Next I would like a shelf system or medicine cabinet... Any ideas anyone? :)