Monday, April 13, 2009

Breaker, Breaker, I'm the Candy Maker

Yesterday I made some yummy almond and pecan bark candy. Last month I bought the cutest VINTAGE BUTTON MOLD from BAKE IT PRETTY. I love all the goodies on that site, but molding all those tiny buttons was just too time consuming to me. Instead of using my vintage candy molds that my mom gave me, I decided to make candy bark. It is very simple and fun. Here is what you need:

• Baking dish lined with parchment paper
• About one cup melted chocolate - I used dark and white and milk chocolate
• Approximately .25 cups of chopped nuts - I used almonds and pecans

Line the baking dishes with parchment paper. Place the chopped nuts in a thin layer in the pan. You sort of have to guess how much is too much depending on the size of the pan. Don't make the nuts too thick or the chocolate won't reach the bottom of the pan. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe glass for 30 seconds at a time. Take it out and stir in more choco wafers until it is all melted. Pour the chocolate into the pan and make sure everything is covered. Once again, make sure it is not too thick or you might have a time breaking the bark like I did! I had to use a hammer! Next put the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set the chocolate. After the candy is set you can turn the candy over on parchment or in the pan and break it into bite-size bits. Enjoy!

Chocolate bark!
I made two kinds of bark yesterday. On the left you see dark chocolate and white chocolate swirls with almonds. On the right side is one that has milk chocolate and almonds and pecans together. I used the CLASEN CHOCOLATE WAFERS, too. I found that they tasted better than the chocolate wafers we had as children and the dark chocolate was sweeter - like frosting!

No comments: