Thursday, May 6, 2010

Breaker, Breaker, I am the Yogurt Maker


Making yogurt., originally uploaded by sugar-cookie.

I decided to make my own homemade yogurt recently. I have to say, I am not a huge fan of yogurt, but I like to have it once in a while. I did not grow up having it as a child, and some brands taste a little sour to me. Plus, some kinds of yogurt in the super market have gelatin as an ingredient and that just weirds me out. So, I tried my hand at yogurt... The funny thing is, for the recipe I used, you need yogurt to start your own yogurt. Curious. I used the recipe from the latest issue of Readymade Magazine. All you need is a quart of 2% milk and two tablespoons of yogurt and a glass jar to keep your homemade yogurt.

I am making my own yogurt.
All you have to do is heat the milk on the stove until it reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure it is not boiling. It will take a while, so make sure you watch on a candy thermometer for the right temperature.

Getting the milk the right temperature.
After the milk reaches 180 degrees, remove it from the stove. Now you watch the thermometer to go down to 115 degrees. Then whisk in two tablespoons of yogurt into the milk.

Now for the tricky part - pour the milk into a glass jar. I saved a jar from pasta sauce, but this will fill up about 1 and a half jars, so maybe have two on hand. I accidentally spilled my milk, so I only got one jar of yogurt. Boohoo.

Now put the lid on the jar and place it in the microwave to keep it warm. I set mine in the microwave overnight. The next morning I placed it in the fridge all day to chill.

My homemade yogurt!
Now I have fabulous homemade yogurt each day this week as my brekkie at work! I especially enjoy it with honey and raspberries! And you can keep making yogurt from your original batch of yogurt, so it is like, yogurt times infinity!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I've been wanting to try that recipe from ReadyMade, but was a little wary. I have to try it now: )

Church of Craft Athens said...

Yeah, Suzy! It is really very simple and easy and I think it tasted better than store bought. My brother also told me about Alton Brown making it and here is a link to other yogurty things you can make:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/yogurt-good-milk-gone-bad/index.html