Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama!

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the way the election turned out. Yay! I'm exhausted from being nervous and excited all day yesterday, and exhausted from staying up late, watching all the coverage. Yesterday at the polls, at the elementary school near our house, I got busted for wearing my Obama badge:

OBAMA 0556

Apparently, I had failed to see the huge red poster outside warning people not to "campaign" within 150 feet of the polling place. The vigilant volunteers there had me immediately take the badge off before I could vote...whoops!

OBAMA 0538

Afterwards, Missy celebrated casting her vote by playing in the nearby playground:

MISSY 0539

MISSY 0548

Election night was exciting, special and surreal, even from the comfort of our living room couch...I stayed up late watching TV not wanting the moment to end. The best part of the night happened sometime after 1am. I heard yelling outside. In our quiet and dark neighborhood it's startling to hear people yelling. My first thought was, "domestic violence"...but as I listened intently I realized that what I was hearing was the sound of two female voices, running up and down the streets of the surrounding neighborhoods, yelling..."OBAMA IS PRESIDENT! OBAMA IS PRESIDENT!"...it was a bit eerie in that I felt like I was transported back in time and I was hearing the town crier announcing the joyous news. That more than anything last night sent shivers up my spine...

3 comments:

Colouring Outside The Lines said...

Not to distract from the seriousness of your post, but that's one kick-ass coat Missy, beautiful!

Church of Craft Athens said...

Thanks Melanie! It is fab! I have been getting lots of compliments on it lately!

Sara T. said...

we had some guys cheering out in the street. it made all the dogs that surround us bark like crazy. but yeah...totally surreal to hear cheering in the streets of athens and for it not to be related to college football.