Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sketchbook Sunday

My parents came for a visit recently and brought a box of my art from long ago. I love looking at the old notebooks the most so far. I have lots of drawings I made of our toys and some that I copied from scratch and sniff stickers. Remember those?

As a child, I loved Strawberry Shortcake! I still love her, but I love old school Strawberry Shortcake. I am not too sure I know alot about the new Shortcake, but to me it is not the same. Above I wrote all the characters names and their pets. Strawberry Shortcake and her cat Custard peek from the bottom of the page. I think she is imagining a strawberry shortcake or ice cream in the thought bubble. I am not sure.

Hopsalot Bunny.
One of my favorite characters is Apricot. She had a pet bunny called Hops-a-lot that I drew here. I think these drawings are all from 1982 or so and that is when I was in first grade. Hops-a-lot was done in pencil on notebook paper.

Raspberry Tart drawing
Raspberry Tart had a monkey called Rhubarb. Here I drew her in my notebook on page three. I love the combination of black and blue ink, too. My brothers and I would draw with almost anything we had on hand. I even have drawings in my notebook that are done in erasable ink. What a great medium!



After posting these drawings to flickr, I was asked to join the Growing Up Strawberry Shortcake: 1979-1985 photo group. Wow, looking at that brings back lots of memories! I can smell those dolls now!

1 comment:

Grace said...

These remind me a lot of my drawings when I was younger. Especially Raspberry Tart's face. :O)