Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Occupational Hazards 24 - Mad Platter

MAD PLATTER 6634

I've worked at two record stores in my lifetime. The first record store was a commercial record store chain in California called MUSIC+PLUS. It was the first proper job I had out of high school. A dream job for me at that age. A couple of other jobs and a couple of years later, I would use that work experience to score a job at the cool indie record shop in town, MAD PLATTER RECORDS.

About a month ago, Missy and I were in California visiting my family. I got a chance to dig through some of my old things, stored in my parents' garage and I happened across my old Mad Platter name tag. Yes! The tag is decorated with glow-in-the-dark stickers of REPTAR, the Godzilla-like monster from the RUGRATS cartoon. There's also a "MR. MUFFIN" label on there - I don't exactly remember why that's on there? I *think* it was the name of a band and I pulled that sticker off a plastic divider that was used to organize the CD's.

In the corner is a PHOTO STICKER of me and fellow Mad Platter employee, Alan Woo. JAPANESE PHOTO STICKER BOOTHS were all the rage in the mid-90's, and we hit them up regularly. I'm "flippin' the bird" and the sticker says, "For You"...I was a snot-nosed punk and it was my idea of "customer service" at the time. Good times!

MAD PLATTER 6629

No comments: