Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sketchbook Sunday

So tonight I share with you some drawings from a little handmade book that I drew for Susan's going away scrapbook. Susan was the director of CANOPY STUDIO where I take trapeze classes here in Athens.

Drawings in a hand drawn book for Susan at Canopy, our trapeze studio.
The first time I saw trapeze here in Athens was at TASTY WORLD, at the after party for FLUKE, the yearly zine fair. I saw the TRAPEZE TARTS with their cute costumes and amazing aerials - I just had to try this for myself!

Drawings in a hand drawn book for Susan at Canopy, our trapeze studio.
I started my first trapeze classes in spring of 2004. Now, I started these classes not knowing what I was in for. I started yoga classes in winter of the same year, so that was good conditioning for trapeze. After the first few classes, my body hurt in ways I did not know were possible! Nowadays, I feel like I can take on pretty much anything. And this is coming from someone who was never good in gym class and was always picked last! I think MARY JESSICA and I maybe had similar backgrounds coming in to Canopy!

Drawings in a hand drawn book for Susan at Canopy, our trapeze studio.
I am not a dancer, I am not graceful, and I am not a gymnast. I am clumsy! At least at Canopy I can try and forget those things and focus on trying to be things I am not. I sometimes imagine my time at Canopy more like the performance art I would see at the Warhol Museum at home. Movement, sound, and visuals, all in one.

Drawings in a hand drawn book for Susan at Canopy, our trapeze studio.
At the start of 2005 I began silks aerials! This proved to be more difficult than trapeze to me. I thought I would never be able to flip upside-down without help from the floor! I also sometimes get nervous being up so high. I am slowly getting over this, but some days that feeling does not show up at all.

Drawings in a hand drawn book for Susan at Canopy, our trapeze studio.
I hope you enjoyed my story about Canopy and my little drawings that went with it. This would not be possible without my fabulous teachers (past and present) - Julie, Allison, Chris, Megan, Nicole, Dana, etc. so not to forget anyone, and of course, Susan!

Drawings in a hand drawn book for Susan at Canopy, our trapeze studio.

No comments: